Moving Yourself? Here Are Some Helpful Tips For Your DIY Move!
For More Questions or Concerns, We Are Happy To Help! Calls Us At 915-207-1980.
29 Helpful Moving Tips
1. Pack an overnight bag containing all the essentials.
2. Pack the items you will need FIRST in a clear plastic bin.
3. Buy a roll of stretch wrap.
4. Wrap your breakables (dishes, glasses, etc.) in clothing to save on bubble wrap.
5. For extra padding, pack your glasses and stemware in clean socks.
6. In addition to labeling what’s in your boxes, add what room they’ll be going into, as well. Color coding is another great way to do this.
7. If you can, show up to your new home before the move and pre-clean the bathroom and kitchen (we partner with a great company).
8. Place an extra cotton pad or ball into your powder cosmetics to keep them from breaking.
9. Cover the openings of your toiletries with saran wrap, then put the tops back on.
10. Pack plates vertically, like records. They’ll be less likely to break (dish boxes are the best).
11. Keep drawers intact by covering them with stretch wrap.
12. Press’n Seal is also great for keeping jewelry displays intact.
13. Keep sandwich bags handy for holding any small parts of things you have to take apart, like curtain rods or mounted flat-screen TVs. Label these as well! Put them all in one place!
14. Beer boxes are the best for books because they have handles on the sides.
15. Take a photo of how your electronics are connected so you can remember how and where all the wires go. Also Label each end of the cord, with tape, where it plugs into.
16. Cut down on boxes by making all of your baskets, laundry bins, hampers, and suitcases work for you.
17. The fastest way to pack a closet: Wadrobe boxes! If your on a budget, use a trash bag, leave the clothes hanging, pull the bag up from underneath and tie at the top with hangers still attached.
18. Vacuum seal your out-of-season clothing.
19. Along with food and alcohol, give your friends who help you move first dibs on anything you originally planned to sell or donate.
20. Make sure everything is completely packed before your friends (OR moving company) show up to help you move.
21. It doesn’t hurt to number your boxes. (number tabs are available at moving supply companies)
22. If you’re renting, take photos of your cleaned-out old home and your new home before moving in.
23. Fill the nail holes in your previous home with a bar of soap.
24. Change your address at least two weeks prior to moving.
25. If you own items that you want to get rid of but are too valuable to just give away, start selling on eBay or Craigslist at least 6 weeks before moving.
26. Arrange for a charity organization to come pick up the items you don’t want at least a week or two before moving.
27. Make your last grocery trip two weeks prior to moving.
28. For same-city moves, hire a sitter for the children and pets.
29. Remember to defrost your refrigerator at least a day before moving and wipe up any liquid. (again we know a great cleaning company)